Style icons around the world still glam themselves up with 50s hairstyles. And why’s that? Because they’re so banging of course! Today we take a look at no less than 124 different snaps of peeps in glorious 50s do’s. We have 50s hairstyles updos, 50s hairstyles for long hair, 50s hairstyles for short hair, 50s hairstyles for medium length hair, bouffant 50s hairstyles, 50s hairstyles men, a quick 50s hairstyles for short hair tutorial, and plenty of 50s updo hairstyles for long hair.
It doesn’t matter how short or long your hair is or whether you’re a guy or a girl, you can make a 50s hairstyle work for you. Why? Because it’s easy to get the look right when you have enough hairspray – you can literally make your hair whatever shape you want with a back comb for teasing and a big bottle of spray!
Check all of our awesome 50s hairstyles out and see which style you want to get practicing on.
The basic tools that you’ll need to be able to create carefully crafted 50s styles include plenty of hairspray for setting your look, foam rollers for super tight curls, larger rolls for more relaxed curls, a curling wand for a different look, gel and metal clips for the finger wave, plenty of hairpins and bobby pins, hair accessories like headscarves, headbands, and pretty bow clips. A few styles will need a little something extra, but with a list like this you’re just about ready to conquer any 50s style looks that you please.
1. 50’s Curly Pin-Up Up Do
- 1. 50’s Curly Pin-Up Up Do
- 2. Carefully Coiffed Curls ala Rachel McAdams
- 3. Pin-Up Babe Headscarf With Front Pouffe
- 4. Big Curls With a Short Fringe5. Curls With Hairspray and Backcombing6. The Sporty Curled Pony
- 7. Sleek n Shine8. A Real Throwback 9. 20’s Glam Bob Modern Update
- 10. The Full Curl Pouffe Front11. Go Grease-Style Glam12. Short on the Top like Sophia Loren13. Soft Curls and a Side Part14. Cute n Choppy Short 50s Hairstyles15. The Diva, Short n Big16. Curls Piled on Top
- 17. A French Affair
- 18. The Dual Top Curl19. Hairspray-Heavy Up-Do With Headscarf
- 20. The Lob – With Curls21. Anne Hathaway’s Pixie Cut
- 22. The Rare Triple Top Curl
- 23. Spirals in the Hair
- 24. Tall on the Top, Tucked in at the Back
- 25. Loose Curls With a Fringe Curl
- 26. Full Ringlet Curls
- 27. Soft and Coiffed Waves
- 28. Soft Up-Do
- 29. Add a Sailor’s Hat
- 30. Donut Up Top
- 31. Modern Soft Tangle
- 32. A Little Bit Wild
- 33. Long and Soft Curls at the Bottom
- 34. Triple Curl With Big Bounce
- 35. Sleek n Loose Curls
- 36. Hold the Phone the Up-Do
- 37. Carefully Constructed Wave
- 38. Teased Curls
- 39. Long-Style Ringlets
- 40. Straight on the Ends
- 41. Headband Instead of Headscarf
- 42. Soft Lob
- 43. Side Curls
- 44. Pin-up Perfection
- 45. Old World Charm
- 46. Soft Short Crop
- 47. Purple Pin-Up Style
- 48. The Pin-Up Mullet
- 49. Carefully Crafted Up Top With Loose Pony
- 50. Go For Broke With Marilyn
- 51. Tousled Short Curls52. Big and Bouffant
- 53. Hollywood Siren
- 54. Sleek Lob with Curls
- 55. Amping Up the Short Hair Volume
- 56. Dita’s Signature
- 57. Piled Small Curls Fringe
- 58. Late 50s Bounce Style
- 59. Swept and Pinned Waves
- 60. Dangerously Cool Purple Fringe
- 61. Housewife Glam
- 62. I’m Chuck Bass…
- 63. James Dean Styles
- 64. Big Hair Up Top
- 65. Slicked Back Old School Style
- 66. Combed to Perfection
- 67. Side Part With Just a Bit of Height
- 68. Vintage Boy Bander
- 69. Slight Wave to the Side
- 70. Combed and Gelled
- 71. Super Shiny Locks
- 72. Tight Wave Short Hairstyle
- 73. Ruffled and Full
- 74. Sleek Up Top With Barrel Curl Ends
- 75. Michelle Williams Pixie Cut
- 76. Super Beehive
- 77. Thin Hair, Don’t Care
- 78. The Subdued Pin-Up
- 79. Emma Watson Pixie Cut
- 80. Extra Height Up Top
- 81. All Over Curls Short Do
- 82. Accessorize With Brows!
- 83. Audrey Hepburn Pixie Cut
- 84. Statue or Best Hairspray Ever?
- 85. Pin-Up Style Without Hairspray
- 86. Pulled Back and Piled With Curls
- 87. Reece Loves Bouncy Hair
- 88. Braids to Section Off Your Pouffe
- 89. A Well-Placed Hair Clip to Match Your Lipstick
- 90. Crisp Curls Up Top
- 91. Soft Short Hair Do
- 92. Short & Curls
- 93. Pinned Back and Soft
- 94. The Dita Bob
- 95. Snow White Style
- 96. A Carefully Placed Wave
- 97. Easy 50’s Up-Do
- 98. Beehive Bonce
- 99. A 50’s Wedding Look100. Upwardly Curled Ends
- 101. Short Curls With Liz
- 102. 50’s With Shaved Sides
- 103. Ombre Red Curls
- 104. For Height at the Crown
- 105. Modern 50’s Style for the Prom
- 106. Throw a Headscarf On It
- 107. Careful 50’s School Curls
- 108. Soft with Waves at the Ends
- 109. Curls With a Bit of Help
- 110. Dita Does Liz
- 111. The 90’s Pixie
- 112. Curls of All Shapes and Sizes
- 113. A Bouffant Short Fringe
- 114. Katy’s Earlier Signature Style
- 115. The Wave Done Right
- 116. The Perfect Pouffe Fringe
- 117. Tight Short Waves
- 118. Dream Curled Ends
- 119. A Bridal Favourite
- 120. Hair Artistry
- 121. Huge Barrel Curls
- 122. Big Hair With Soft Curls
- 123. A Far Side Part
- 124. La Liz
For these tiny little curls up top you’ll either need to be blessed with them naturally (if so, just use mousse) or will need to use your small foam rollers overnight then set with hidden pins and hairspray in the morning.
2. Carefully Coiffed Curls ala Rachel McAdams
3. Pin-Up Babe Headscarf With Front Pouffe
The headscarf is an essential piece of kit for any aspiring 50’s pin-up babe. Often headscarves will be in bright red which can match your lipstick and nails to really complete the look. Scarves are cheap and they mean you can spend less time doing your hair in the morning.
4. Big Curls With a Short Fringe5. Curls With Hairspray and Backcombing6. The Sporty Curled Pony
Ariana Grande is the master of this sporty top ponytail at the moment. Use a large curling wand to create these big curls, then tie hair back and twirl your curls together to create this bouncy look.
7. Sleek n Shine8. A Real Throwback 9. 20’s Glam Bob Modern Update
If you have naturally wavy hair, sometimes it just needs a helping hand to be exquisite. Let hair dry naturally which adding serum to give it shine and enhance your natural wave. Carefully pin back your waves at the back of your head and finish with a spritz of hairspray.
10. The Full Curl Pouffe Front11. Go Grease-Style Glam12. Short on the Top like Sophia Loren13. Soft Curls and a Side Part14. Cute n Choppy Short 50s Hairstyles15. The Diva, Short n Big16. Curls Piled on Top
A 50s classic is the big pile of curls at the top of the head. For this look, you can use medium roller – either heated or leave in overnight. When your curls are ready, sweep hair up and to the back. Carefully finger curls into barrels, spraying each one to set it as you go and adding pins to keep in place.
17. A French Affair
The French style here seen on Penelope Cruz is a short, sweeping fringe in the front followed by a mini-bouffant at the back which gives the S curve and a kick out at the ends.
18. The Dual Top Curl19. Hairspray-Heavy Up-Do With Headscarf
Creating big bouffants can take a lot of back combing! Separate your hair into sections and go heavy with the back combing at the roots, spraying as you go with hairspray. Remember to not back comb the bits that will be on the outside to cover the mess underneath! Use a curling wand to get that curls effect at the front with your ends.
20. The Lob – With Curls21. Anne Hathaway’s Pixie Cut
Could you work a pixie crop? Anne’s piece-y but sleek pixie crop is on point.
22. The Rare Triple Top Curl
23. Spirals in the Hair
24. Tall on the Top, Tucked in at the Back
25. Loose Curls With a Fringe Curl
26. Full Ringlet Curls
27. Soft and Coiffed Waves
28. Soft Up-Do
29. Add a Sailor’s Hat
Not sure if you can be bothered styling a bouffant back? That’s where a hat can come in handy. This sailor’s hat is kitsch and retro, fitting perfectly with the 50s style.
30. Donut Up Top
And you thought the foam hair donut was just for top knots! Well, you’re wrong – why not try out a fringe donut style like the one above?
31. Modern Soft Tangle
32. A Little Bit Wild
33. Long and Soft Curls at the Bottom
If you don’t use hairspray to set your look, your curls will quickly fall so you get a style like this one. If you don’t apply hairspray at this stage it will fall out further until your hair is flat. Boo.
34. Triple Curl With Big Bounce
35. Sleek n Loose Curls
36. Hold the Phone the Up-Do
Headscarves can be tightly rolled up to make them look more like a little headband instead of a full scarf. Just make sure it’s neatly folded with no ends hanging out.
37. Carefully Constructed Wave
38. Teased Curls
To achieve a look like this, first use curlers or a curling wand to create tight curls. When unrolling each curl add a light spritz of hairspray then tease. Then more hairspray.
39. Long-Style Ringlets
40. Straight on the Ends
41. Headband Instead of Headscarf
Eschew the headscarf for a change and switch it up with a 50s themed headband with a big flourish like this awesome polka dot bow affair we have here.
42. Soft Lob
43. Side Curls
You don’t just have to do the tease and curl back on your fringe, you can also do it on the sides of your hair too – check out the styling on this awesome up-do. As always, go heavy on the hairspray to keep everything in place.
44. Pin-up Perfection
45. Old World Charm
46. Soft Short Crop
47. Purple Pin-Up Style
Purple is so in right now for the color of the moment. There’s no reason that you can’t mix a modern color with a throw-back 50s style do.
48. The Pin-Up Mullet
49. Carefully Crafted Up Top With Loose Pony
50. Go For Broke With Marilyn
51. Tousled Short Curls52. Big and Bouffant
If you don’t already have long hair, there are plenty of real-looking clip on ponytail options available on the market to give you the length that you crave. Simply tie your hair up into a high bun and then expand the hairpiece’s clips over your bun, securing your long pony in place. You can treat most clips ins just like you’d treat your own hair by curling and backcombing to add height as desired.
53. Hollywood Siren
54. Sleek Lob with Curls
55. Amping Up the Short Hair Volume
56. Dita’s Signature
Dita Von Tease is the reigning grand mistress of 50s styling with her always perfectly nailed 50s coiffure and outfits. Whether she’s sporting long locks or rocking a shorter style, it’s always beautiful in black with the perfect matching red lippy. Ms Dita we salute you!
57. Piled Small Curls Fringe
58. Late 50s Bounce Style
59. Swept and Pinned Waves
60. Dangerously Cool Purple Fringe
Looking for a way to make your 50s style venture into a bit more edgy territory? Why not try dying bits of your hair that you’ll separate in a different color? You could either go to the salon to get it done professionally or use something that’ll come out in the wash such as hair chalk if you don’t want the office to know you get your freak on on the weekend!
61. Housewife Glam
62. I’m Chuck Bass…
Who doesn’t love a bit of Gossip Girl? Chuck Bass’s coiff harks back to the 50s, along with his swarthy looks. Bit of a dreamboat, really.
63. James Dean Styles
64. Big Hair Up Top
Men don’t use hairspray. Ummmm… says who? For guys not getting enough height from their hair pomade, there’s nothing wrong with a bit of a backcomb and spray. Your longer length locks will stay in place across the day without falling.
65. Slicked Back Old School Style
66. Combed to Perfection
67. Side Part With Just a Bit of Height
68. Vintage Boy Bander
69. Slight Wave to the Side
70. Combed and Gelled
With the right gel, you can Cary Grant’s iconic slicked-back look. Slick and comb your gel horizontally along the sides of your hair. Create a side part and comb over the top and to the side. Simple as that.
71. Super Shiny Locks
Serums and oils can help you make your hair looks glossy and shiny. A high-shine shampoo and conditioner can also help keep locks in tip-top shape.
72. Tight Wave Short Hairstyle
73. Ruffled and Full
74. Sleek Up Top With Barrel Curl Ends
75. Michelle Williams Pixie Cut
76. Super Beehive
77. Thin Hair, Don’t Care
78. The Subdued Pin-Up
79. Emma Watson Pixie Cut
80. Extra Height Up Top
81. All Over Curls Short Do
82. Accessorize With Brows!
Short 50s hair needs banging brows to go with it! Forget the style that’s going around right now and shape up with these killer arched brows – big and bold but not super sculpted. These brows are a similar width all along the brow line rather than tapering off after the arch.
83. Audrey Hepburn Pixie Cut
84. Statue or Best Hairspray Ever?
Yes, we know that we mention hairspray a lot here. But if you want that style to stick you’re going to have to get to spray. Don’t worry, Marilyn would be proud. Not sure she’d be so proud of a giant statue of her where people can look up her skirt, though.
85. Pin-Up Style Without Hairspray
Ok, on the flipside, sometimes you actually don’t need to use hairspray to get a 50s do. If you’re after something soft, you can just sweep back naturally dried hair and put in a few curls with your curling wand, like this style here. It’s easy and done in just minutes.
86. Pulled Back and Piled With Curls
87. Reece Loves Bouncy Hair
88. Braids to Section Off Your Pouffe
Instead of using a headscarf or a headband, you can also use braids to add a touch of pizzazz and section off different parts of your hair. No, you don’t have to braid long lengths of your hair yourself, you can buy prewoven braids in your hair color and just wrap them around and secure with bobby pins.
89. A Well-Placed Hair Clip to Match Your Lipstick
90. Crisp Curls Up Top
91. Soft Short Hair Do
92. Short & Curls
93. Pinned Back and Soft
This style has undergone a lot of styling to look like something so simple and easy. They’ll be plenty of backcombing underneath, the soft waves may have been crafted with clips or even by hand, and it will be sprayed to stay in place. A great look for brides.
94. The Dita Bob
95. Snow White Style
96. A Carefully Placed Wave
97. Easy 50’s Up-Do
98. Beehive Bonce
Got a few hours to spare? Why not try crafting your very own towering beehive hairstyle? There doesn’t have to be just hair behind your ‘hive – people use foam cutouts, ice cream containers, and other sneaky tricks to get the beehive shape going before sweeping and styling hair over the top.
99. A 50’s Wedding Look100. Upwardly Curled Ends
Check out Katy’s carefully upturned ends in her 50s look here. To replicate the look you will need to practice some expertise in wielding your curling wand. As soon as those ends are turning up, spray, spray, spray, or they will fall, fall, fall.
101. Short Curls With Liz
102. 50’s With Shaved Sides
Pink’s a bit of a 50s babe at heart but always with a modern twist. Her bleached blonde and coiffed look has shaved sides which give her that fiery look that we all love about her. Shaved sides go great with dangling earrings, as you can see in this red carpet look.
103. Ombre Red Curls
Curls take on a whole new look if you’re sporting ombre locks, like this chica here. Her ombre red ends which also frame the face take her 50s loose curls look to the next level. Next time you’re at the hairdresser, why not take a look into whether ombre is for you?
104. For Height at the Crown
105. Modern 50’s Style for the Prom
106. Throw a Headscarf On It
Don’t have time to do your hair properly, in a rush but still want that 50s look? Tie a 50s-look headscarf at the front of your hair, with plenty of material for cover up. Throw on something quick to wear, a slick of red lipstick and a neat winged eyeliner and you’re ready to roll.
107. Careful 50’s School Curls
108. Soft with Waves at the Ends
109. Curls With a Bit of Help
110. Dita Does Liz
Bling up your look by adding a costume jewellery clip with big bold diamonds in it. After all, that’s what the divas do!
111. The 90’s Pixie
112. Curls of All Shapes and Sizes
113. A Bouffant Short Fringe
Short fringes can look great with 50s style hair when they are just a little rolled in. To achieve this look you can either use a curling wand or rollers, just make sure that you are styling perfectly horizontally to get the look right.
114. Katy’s Earlier Signature Style
115. The Wave Done Right
116. The Perfect Pouffe Fringe
117. Tight Short Waves
118. Dream Curled Ends
119. A Bridal Favourite
120. Hair Artistry
Why not head to a photographer who specializes in 50s looks? They can get you a hairstylist and makeup artist for the day, plus have outfits to choose from. This way you can be pampered and have a fully created 50s look that’s picture perfect and will last forever.
121. Huge Barrel Curls
122. Big Hair With Soft Curls
123. A Far Side Part
124. La Liz
La Liz is iconic for her short 50s style chops and styles and this look is no different. Setting off your short crop with a neck hugging string of pearls will have you looking like 50s bliss.
As you can see, there are so many different 50 styles that you can wear your hair in. If you love the short crops but aren’t quite sure whether it would suit you, why not check out some celebrities that have a similar look to you and see if they’ve ever had the chop.
For babes wanting longer hair but can’t wait for it to grow, there are heaps of natural looking half head wigs and clip in pony tails on the market that will give you that length you’re craving.
Creating 50s styles is a work of art and takes time. These aren’t styles you can walk out the door in 10 minutes. That being said, the more you practice them, the quicker you’ll become in creating these looks. So happy styling1
Oh, and of course, don’t forget the hairspray!