Prom is one occasion where you won’t find any messy hairstyles. Quite the contrary. Being one of the most important moments of any girl’s life, prom is that night when you have to put your best foot forward and shine like a diamond. That awesome, camera-ready looks starts with prom hairstyles, of course! Not only because you have a super cute date and because you want to be Insta-perfect, but also because this needs to be a night you will remember for the rest of your life!
With that in mind, we have prepared a super long list of the best prom hairstyles ever. It covers every hair type out there, every length, and every color. So scroll down and find your favorite!
Your Prom Hairstyles Guide
- Your Prom Hairstyles Guide
- Tips for Your Prom Hairstyles and the Big Night
- More Tips for Your Prom Hairstyles and the Big Night
- I Want More Hair Tips for Prom!
- The Best Prom Hairstyles to Inspire You
- What about you?
Let’s start with something that every girl out there needs. A prom hairstyles guide. After you have selected the perfect dress, shoes, and makeup for the big night, you need to start thinking about the hairstyle you will be wearing. But where to start? Do you go for something comfortable or something a little more theatrical? Should you copy your favorite celebrity or try something a little more original? Don’t worry. This is why we have a prom hairstyles guide for you!
Matching your prom hairstyles to your dress
Evidently, the first thing you need to take into account when it comes to prom hairstyles is the dress you will be wearing. Here’s how you do it.
Go for a low or high bun, a simple twist or perhaps a side swept hairstyle if you are planning to wear a dress with a high neck or a one-shoulder gown. The same logic goes for a dress with an open back or a gown that has beautiful embroidery or detailing around the neckline. The idea here is to wear your hair up so that you can show off all of these elements the dress has rather than cover them up with your locks.
Apart from wearing your hair up, you will also need to go for very simple prom hairstyles. Heavy and intricate hairdos in combination with a detailed or bejeweled dress might make you look like you should be on stage rather than going to a party.
What if your dress is simple? Then you need to jazz up your hair! Try blinged up hair accessories such as hair clips or headbands that can make you sparkle! Of course, the simpler the ball gown, the bigger you can go with the prom hairstyles and their accessories. Therefore, don’t be afraid to wear a tiara. This is your night!
You can also wear flowers in your hair in case your dress is more romantic or has a bohemian look to it. An alternative to flowers would be golden leaves or laurels.
Tips for Your Prom Hairstyles and the Big Night
Ok. You have the dress, the makeup, the shoes, and the prom hairstyles you’ve always dreamed of. You’re still not done. So many things can go wrong the closer you get to the big day. But we have a whole set of tips that will help you and your hair look fabulous!
- Don’t go for any major changes right before prom! You might be tempted to cut all your hair off or dye your hair pink for the occasion. But that’s not a good idea. First of all, it can all go very bad and there simply won’t be any time to fix it. Secondly, you won’t have time to adjust to the new you. Plus, you might dislike your prom hairstyles in the pictures.
- Focus on your hair’s health the closer you get to prom. This means trimming the unhealthy tips, applying nourishing masks and oils several times a week, and not using any heat at all on your locks. The intense treatment will make your locks look outstanding!
- If your budget allows it, have a trial run of your prom hairstyles to see which one you like best. Don’t leave it to the last minute!
- Show your stylist exactly how your dress looks from all angles. He or she will be able to advise you on the best prom hairstyles that go with that dress.
More Tips for Your Prom Hairstyles and the Big Night
- When getting your hair done on the day of the prom, wear a shirt that closes in the front. Don’t wear anything that you will later have to pull over your head and ruin your hairstyle.
- If you have any favorite hair products that you would like to use on your prom day, test them ahead of time. Make sure they are not sticky, runny or smell bad. Also make sure they are heat and sweat resistant.
- Continuing on the above, buy travel size versions of your favorite hair products and put them in your purse along with a few bobby pins. They will get you out of some jams as the night progresses!
- Don’t forget about frizz sheets! It doesn’t matter what prom hairstyles you’re going for! As you dance and sweat, your hair will inevitably start to frizz and you will need them.
Here’s a tip – dryer sheets work just as well.
I Want More Hair Tips for Prom!
- If you want to wear some specific accessories like headbands, flower wreaths or novelty bobby pins, you will have to buy them and bring them to the hair salon. Do not expect the stylist to have them on hand for you! They are not a shop!
- Yes, you can do your own hair at home as well if you don’t have the budget for a stylist or if complicated prom hairstyles are not your thing. Call it the Ariana Grande! Straighten your hair and pull it back in a very slick and high ponytail. Wrap a piece of fabric identical to your dress around its basis and you’re done!
- Of course, if you’re doing your own hair, you will have to practice, practice, practice! Watch as many tutorials as you can and start to practice a few months in advance!
- Remember to schedule your appointment to the salon in the morning. This will leave you with more than enough time to fix things should something go wrong.
Useful Tips from Your Prom Hair Guide
- Is it raining? That’s ok. Of course, you can use an umbrella. But what if you don’t want to carry it around with you? Cover your precious hairstyle with a shower cap. Sure, you won’t look good until you get to the location, but your locks will be spared!
- If you need your hair to stay in place or to add some texture to it, don’t go for the classic hair spray. It’s damaging for your locks and scalp because it dries them. Instead, use some sea salt spray. It will give your hair a crunchy texture and it will hold it in place all night long. Plus, it’s all natural!
- Are your curls too tight? Don’t tousle them right away! It might make them messy and you could even ruin them. Allow gravity and humidity to do their job. Within a few hours, your curls will slowly start falling on their own. Then you can start to mess them up a bit!
- If you want to dance as much as possible, don’t go for a very tight hairstyle. It will only make you worry all night. Instead, try a looser prom hairdo that will not have you stressing all the time.
Prom Hairstyles Tricks and Ideas
- In case you’re planning on doing your own hairdo, you will have to wash your hair that very same day. But freshly cleaned hair doesn’t style that well. Therefore, spray your roots with some dry shampoo. It will give them some texture and grip.
- Spray your bobby pins as well with texturizing spray or hairspray. It will make them hold better to your hair and they will stop slipping.
- Don’t use products that do not benefit your hair. Clarifying shampoo is for removing residue, dandruff, and buildup, while creamy shampoos will moisturize your hair. Conditioner is a must! As are hair masks and leave in conditioners!
The Best Prom Hairstyles to Inspire You
Now that we’ve got all the tips and tricks safely learned and out of the way, let’s take a look at the cutest prom hairstyles you can wear this year!
Prom Hairstyles with Flower
One of the simplest ways in which you can jazz up a plain dress or a classic hairstyle is by adding an over-sized flower to your hair. Of course, whether the flower is natural or synthetic is entirely up to you. We would advise you to go for the latter because organic flowers tend to wilt very fast even if they were harvested just a short time before making their way to your hair.
And here’s another simple trick. Choose a color that contrasts vividly with the shade of your dress. This is not a situation where you want to match. Because if the flower and the dress match, you might end up looking like you’re wearing a costume!
Bohemian Prom Hairstyles
Not only is this hairstyle exceedingly pretty, but it’s also super easy to do right at home on your own. It’s a bohemian look that will go great with a simple, white or pastel dress, made of lace. All you need to do is curl your hair either by using a classic curling iron or wand or by using no heat at all.
If you prefer the no heat method, you will have to shampoo your hair and dry it with a towel until it is damp. Otherwise, if you’re starting with dry hair, spritz it with sea salt spray. Braid your hair and let it dry on its own overnight. In the morning, when you unbraid it, you will have these gorgeous bohemian beach waves. Add a pearl accessory, and you’re done!
90s Prom Hairstyles
In case you’ve been living under a rock for the past few seasons, the 90s are back. That means fashion, makeup, decorations, color palettes, and, yes, hairstyles. Here is a fantastic idea for a prom updo straight from the 90s.
There are a few elements that scream the 90s decade and which you might recognize. We’re talking about the massive beehive in the back, the slightly elevated pompadour on top and, of course, the straight and slick strands of hair curtaining the face. Nothing says 90s like these strands that used to hang in everyone’s face back then!
If you want to recreate this look, make sure you are also wearing the right dress and makeup. When it comes to your gown, you should go for a spaghetti strap dress that was super popular in the 90s. You can find your inspiration with Kate Moss. As far as makeup goes, you will need a dark, matte brown or red lip with a heavy eye look.
We have some good news and some bad news when it comes to these prom hairstyles. First, the good news! It’s a long hairstyle with beach waves, a gorgeous blonde ombre, and a French braid crown that ends at the back with an exquisite hair rose.
So what’s the bad news? You won’t be able to do this one at home. Or, at least, you won’t be able to do it on your own. Of course, you can try finding tutorials and start practicing, but this level of braiding requires a lot of skill. Apart from that, it might prove extremely difficult to braid like that in the mirror, without actually seeing what you’re doing.
However, perhaps you have a friend who knows how to braid. Or, better yet. Why don’t you show this photo to your stylist? In this way you can make sure you are getting a perfect prom hairstyle!
Prom Hairstyles with Extensions
If this hairstyle for prom looks a little too good to be true, that’s because it is. You may be wondering how much hair she can possibly have. Or how long is her hair for that hairstyle to be accomplished? Or how long will it take you to grow hair like that? Don’t worry! The answer lies in one word – extensions!
Long and very voluminous hair such as this one is typically not natural. Of course, that doesn’t mean that there aren’t girls out there who have hair like this. Evidently there are. It’s just that Rapunzels are not very common in the wild. Therefore, if you have your heart set on this particular prom hairstyle, you will have to wear extensions.
Still, please be aware of the fact that extensions are not cheap. Depending on the length and volume of hair you want, you will need to buy several sets. They will also have to be colored if they don’t match your exact shade. As expected, natural, human hair extensions will always be more expensive than synthetic ones. You will also need to be super careful with them if you dance.
Alice, is that you?
This has to be, without a doubt, one of the cutest and most special prom hairstyles out there. It represents an Alice in Wonderland bow, but made entirely out of hair! Believe it or not this hairdo is actually not that hard to accomplish. Therefore, with a little training and exercise you could even do it yourself and adjust it throughout the night.
However, keep in mind that if this will be your hairstyle of choice for the big night, your outfit will definitely have to be up to par. In other words, a simple dress will not make the cut. Mainly because the hairstyle won’t match it. Therefore, choose a dress as cute and whimsical as this hairstyle. But don’t go overboard. You don’t want to look like you’re in costume on the stage!
Classy Ponytail Prom Hairstyles
We’ve already discussed how you can recreate the Ariana Grande ponytail at home in case you don’t have a big enough budget for a stylist. Or maybe because Ariana is your inspiration! But as simple as that is, Ari’s ponytail is a straight and sleek one. We could also qualify it as a modern and very urban ponytail.
Let’s take a look now at a classier version. And you know what’s great about it? You can do this one at home as well! Start with the sleek version of the ponytail. Create it at a medium high level. Pull a few strands out of it so that you can also create the pompadour on top. It will give you some height and elongate your face.
When you’re done, you can curl each strand using a classic hair curler or a wand. It’s all up to you how tight or loose you want to make the curls!
Prom Hairstyles with Low Bun
This hairstyle is as classic as they get! The low bun or ballerina bun as it is otherwise known has been a favorite since the beginning. Of course, it’s a hairstyle that girls borrowed from brides, but you can wear it with confidence! It works perfectly well if you have an open back dress or one that has an intricate design on top. Tying your hair up in a bun will allow the dress to be seen.
The most interesting thing about this hairstyle is that it’s not just a simple low bun. It also has a set of tiny French braids on the sides that will decorate your hairdo even more. The bun will also look more spectacular if you decide to get some highlights in your hair. The different shades and colors will meet in the bun forming a beautiful kaleidoscope.
Green Peekaboo Highlights
Speaking of highlights, you can vamp up your prom hairstyle with a few peekaboo highlights. An interesting way of doing it is by placing them in a layer underneath your hair. In this way, when you put your hair up, they will show off the intense color you have hiding under there.
Of course, green is just an example. You can choose your favorite color. Better yet, go for a shade that compliments your dress. It will be a nice surprise for your date to see that you’ve matched so well. Especially if your partner is wearing a little accessory of the same color.
Messy Fishtail Braid Prom Hairstyles
Yes, fishtail braids are still in style. And yes, they still look absolutely amazing. Oh, and you can definitely wear a fishtail braid to your prom. Some might look at a fishtail braid, especially a messy one and think it’s a little too informal for such a black tie event as a prom. They are 100 percent wrong! These braids can complement any ball gown as long as you accessorize them perfectly!
The example here is a messy one. To achieve this look you might have to resort to a few sets of extensions, in case your natural hair is not long or voluminous enough. Have them colored to match your natural shade.
Start off by braiding a normal, not too tight fishtail braid all the length of the hair. Spritz your locks with plenty of sea salt spray before you begin to give them texture and crunchiness. It will help them stay in place and make them easier to work with. When you’re done braiding, start pulling gently at the different pieces in the braid. Use your fingers.
You can even pull out some of the shorter strands completely. It will make the fishtail braid look as if you’ve just been to the beach and the sea breeze was a little too strong.
Here’s a tip – don’t use any kind of hair elastic to tie the braid in any place. If you need something to hold the structure in place, use a few bobby pins, but only on the backside.
What about you?
Out of all the prom hairstyles you’ve seen, which one was your favorite? Or are you planning to try several of them and see which one goes best with your dress? That would be the smart thing to do! Have fun!